My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

November 03, 2013

Why do I buy essentials from the men's section?


Might just clear this up before I begin. Sorry about the total disconnect between image and writing! However, it shows one thing - I'm obsessed with what I call a #randomflatlay. If you follow me on Instagram you will probably understand and if you don't - no worries, because it means this is new and probably aren't bored of it yet!

I started the 'Borrowing From Him' series after finding it easier to buy essentials such as tees and sweaters from the men's section. It turned from the 'birthday, Father's day and Christmas section' to a place where I would frequently browse in and later pin point when shopping for basics.

I have come to learn that borrowing from him is definitely not about imitation. Like most items of clothing I only feel comfortable when it is incorporated into my style. For example, loose fit, rolled cuffs and some tuck just feels so me. It means that although I am wearing my brother's shirt it doesn't mean I am dressing like a man! I have simply just taken it as inspiration in an abstract and also physical sense (I did borrow the shirt and wear it!) and made it my own. So, like most things in life take something as inspiration because imitation just suggests a lack of imagination. While in a fashion sense, it portrays an absence of individual style. But then again, these are my opinions! Feel free to object!

Along with another example of the 'inspiration Vs. imitation' dilemma I have also realised that a possible reason I gravitate towards essentials from our male counterparts is because the options available to women are plentiful and not always in a helpful way. It seems that instead of focussing on a single design in a selected range of materials and colours most rather branch out and cover more. This gives us consumers a vast range of options but is it helpful? Well, given that I rather buy from the men's section when it comes to basics I would prefer a more edited collection. It seems that some stores have caught onto this idea by having an 'essentials' or 'basics' page on their online store. I actually find this quite useful because the grouping allows me to quickly scan through their 'essential' pieces and mentally I am able to compare them to similar pieces from the men's section in terms of overall look, quality and price. At the end of the day, certain items from the men's section just fit my style and quality criteria more so then pieces from the women's section. So, why stop if it works!

6 comments:

  1. Yes! Agreeing with everything you've said, April! I'm very much into men's basics. I love the loose fit. Of course there are things that I love fitted, which I will happily shop in the women's department, but I do find myself in my fiancé's closet quite a bit :)

    Ps. I love the photo - that's okay if there's a disconnect. Your photos are always inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the women's department is definitely where I find more fitted clothing while the men's section is more for basics!

      Hahaha, you are way too kind especially since your photos and graphics are just amazing! x

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way. Sometimes mens clothing just sits better, and the fabric composition is of far greater quality yet the price is considerably lower than what we women must pay for a similar garment.But yeah, it's definitely all about fit isn't it, you want to look good and feel comfortable. Men have the best cardigans too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there seems to be a disconnect between pricing and quality across the women's and men's departments. A similar cotton tee is more often then not more expensive in the women's section compared to the men's!

      Cardigans in general don't appeal to me much! Anyway if I was going to buy one I have a feeling I'll probably find a better suiting one in the men's section, too.

      Delete
  3. YES I agree with it all! Nicer materials (why do all women's tees have so much stretch in them??) nicer colours, nicer fit and nicer prices! I love men's jumpers for having a proper high neck too, women's are too low cut and when I'm cold I just wanna be as snuggled up as possible.
    P.S I love your flatlay photos, your instagram is beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stretch factor is so unnecessary, seriously less flattering, too! Men's jumpers are always just perfect and totally agree about the neck line, sometimes warmth is just priority!

      Oh, thank you! So happy you like them. Just found your Instagram and you and your outfits are truly inspirational! x

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!