My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

October 13, 2013

New addition - the little black 'skirt'





Everyone knows about the 'little black dress', aka the LBD. A piece synonymous with Chanel and now is the modern lady's essential as it can be worn from 9 to 5 and then easily transition into after work drinks, catching up with friends or even that quick grocery run after a days work. However, my thoughts on the LBD are reserved for another post. As the title aptly describes, the little black 'skirt' is the agenda for this post.

The little black skirt, or should I say the LBS (given society's obsession to shorten words - I blame texting and the 140 Twitter character count even though I am guilty, too!) has been on my essential's list for quite some time. I find it less restricting in the sense that I can style it to suit my needs a lot more then a LBD. The above flatlays are just a few options I quickly pulled together during my study break (just over a month until exams finish, so more posts will definitely be a priority soon). Definitely looking forward to capturing some outfit photos with the skirt on.

Quick facts on the skirt - skater style, pleats and neoprene. Not my usual material choice but it holds the pleating detail really well and barely wrinkles. So yes, I did sacrifice on the material, which is something I try and avoid. However, given it is a skirt the disadvantage of it being a non breathable material is not too much of an issue...I hope. I will keep you updated on this as Summer rolls around the corner and maybe it will be the final verdict on neoprene (for me that is)!


Outfit 1 - Zara shirt and skirt / YSL wallet / Sunglasses from Princess Polly / Coco Mademoiselle 

Outfit 2 - Cotton On Men's tee / Zara skirt / Sunglasses from Princess Polly / Chanel 'Pirate' nail polish / Converses

Outfit 2 - Zara breton and skirt / Sunglasses from Princess Polly / Chanel 'Pirate' nail polish / Cereal Magazine 

2 comments:

  1. I searched for the past month for a "LBS" that would be wrinkle-free and long enough for work, and with a fuller skirt so that it's easy to bike in. I ended up buying the "short gore skirt" from American Apparel in black and I am pretty satisfied. The material, though it's polyester, does look nice enough to transition from work to night too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you made a good purchase! I sometimes wish I don't have so many criterions when looking for a piece because it is so hard to find anything that meets expectations and normally if they do quite a hefty price tag comes along with it. I'm sure you can dress it up with a silk camisole or even a sheer silk blouse with heels to wear during the night. Hope you enjoy styling it for different occasions!

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!