My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

October 25, 2013

Borrowing from him - the shirt






When it comes to good quality shirts (tees or even sweaters!) at reasonable prices women definitely have the worst end of the bargain in comparison to their male counterparts. I recently found a few shirts online but never went that decisive step of making them mine. The price point and shipping charges initiated a sudden halt in proceeding to the checkout cart as I realised the total cost would be approximately 2 weeks of groceries for myself, 3 months worth of quality takeaway coffee or 15 roast chickens. Lets just say, my body would appreciate the food and sometimes takeaway coffee is just irreplaceable (think - wet cold days...)

Well, definitely not doom and gloom as I reminded my brother that 'sharing is caring' and borrowed the blue shirt. Given my brother is around 6 foot and I didn't seem to inherit similar genes in regards to height I had a suspicion the shirt might be too big. Turns out the shirt could be one to two sizes smaller* but it proves one thing - men definitely have the better end of the stick when it comes to shirts**.

The fabric is just perfect in the way of type, touch and look. Some shirts may be 100% cotton but they do not have the same visual appeal. I also adore the cut as it allows me to style it rather then the other way around.

When wearing shirts straight from our counterparts I believe it is about exploring a style to fit within one's own and not a direct imitation of what a man might wear. So, I would go with hair down, top two buttons undone, some pop of colour (i.e red nail polish - easy and striking) and some heel and point in regards to shoes.

Now, if you haven't done so yet, remind your significant other, guy friend or brother that 'sharing is definitely caring' and borrow a shirt!

 Would love to hear thoughts about your shirts.


*I think I am probably am a XS or S in men shirts I normally go by shoulder seam placement

**Like all things, you still have to buy the right cut, fabric and size that suits you

8 comments:

  1. OMG April! I couldn't agree any more with you! Sharing is definitely caring, and I'm constantly wearing my fiancé's clothes. I thought I was the only one doing this. He's also 6 ft too and I'm 5'2'' haha. I love that top on you, I would've never guessed it's your brother's! Seriously love the way you styled it with the denim rolled up and your ankle boots - perfection!!!

    Happy weekend, dear xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Victoria! I think I'll be wearing this until Summer really kicks in! So, definitely more of my 'sharing is caring' motto being used on my brother! Hahaha! Also, I would borrow from my brother constantly but besides this shirt he doesn't have much I can borrow! I remember buying him a sweater but he never wore it, so it now happily hangs in my wardrobe and I constantly wear it.

      Enjoy the weekend, too! x

      Delete
  2. I can definitely vouch for that! Unlike borrowing from my male counterparts, I went ahead and purchased a pale blue chambray oversized shirt for myself and I am more that excited. It's 100% cotton and hopefully the stitching will hold up (women's clothing being of horrid quality compared to men's and all). I plan to wear it layered with and underneath literally everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ange! My next purchase of a shirt is definitely coming from the men's section, given I was already going to purchase one but they sold out!

      Your chambray purchase sounds amazing and you are totally spot on about the quality. Enjoy styling it and have a lovely weekend! x

      Delete
  3. I think the shirt looks good on you. I have quite a few pieces from the menswear section (and kids! and maternity!) on top of women's things that are "boyfriend" fit. I actually saw some good quality cotton shirts at f21. It can be so hit or miss there, but if you dig they can do nice things. Those jeans look great on you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll definitely be wearing this combination until the Summer heat makes it unrealistic!

      Yes, I agree that you have to literally 'dig' to find some nice things.

      Hope you are having a great weekend! x

      Delete
  4. I feel like that's the same for every thing, the men's clothing often seems to be better quality and cheaper than the women's! I much prefer the colours too. I work in the men's section at Uniqlo and buy so much from there rather than the ladies department because it's so much nicer! I love the shirts there especially xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the colours are so much better, too! Most of the colours in the women's section just seem to be slightly off!

      You are so lucky! I don't think there is an Uniqlo store in Australia, I normally get my Uniqlo fix when I go overseas. I love the men's section in Uniqlo, some of their women apparel are to florally for me.

      I am loving your style, girl! Especially your new coat! Hope you are feeling better, too. x

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!