My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

September 17, 2013

Magazines and breakfast


Sorry about the lack of images for this post, or maybe not? It really depends on how many images are too many or not enough in your opinion. Well, if I can illustrate my idea with one image why bombard my readers with more. Kind of like Occam's Razor, anyone? Maybe my units in psychology are getting to me... 

Besides discussing the right number of images or the lack of images, why don't we talk about how amazing the strawberries looked and tasted magazines. I have come to realise that I am owning less and less current issues of magazines. Besides the fact online content is where I find my day-to-day inspiration, I still like having hard copies of inspiration. It is similar to my love of purchasing hard copy books that I simply adore. What attracts me initially to a magazine is definitely its visual appearance, however content (written or visual) is what well push me into purchasing. I think the key reason is that I enjoy relating to the magazine's content, be it inspiration, personal experience or the portrayal of extravagance. It is what keeps me re-reading, re-reading, re-reading magazines without getting sick of it. I even find new things that I have missed in previous readings upon re-reading. 

Thoughts on magazines?  

6 comments:

  1. I rarely buy magazines. But even when I buy fashion books, they just end up on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do you occasionally read the fashion books? I find that the appeal of magazines for me is being able to put it to one side but still wanting to read whenever I see it! Does your collection of fashion books contain Grace Coddington's memoir? It is a book on my wish list!

      Delete
  2. I still love magazines too! I have loads of them, I find it real hard to throw them out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha magazine twins! However, I have no hesitation in throwing out less then inspiring ones. It at least means I don't end up with a bookcase full of just magazines, too!

      Delete
  3. I think this article fits to your thoughts of magazines:

    http://markokarppinen.com/post/57793114049/the-ritual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you commenting here. Love your Instagram and all those coffee and magazine photos.

      Thanks for the link. It is a very interesting read. I agree that the appeal of magazines in hard copy form is the idea that every time you see it you just feel the need to flick through a few pages. Thus, the idea of re-reading, re-reading, re-reading.

      Whereas, online it is all about mass so unless something is exceptional it is highly unlikely people will re-read.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!