My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

August 08, 2013

Layering with a leather jacket








Layering is definitely not just for sweaters. Last season it was all about the contrast of casual and proper through the combination of either denim jackets or varsity jackets with a well tailored coat. However, it was never a trend that suited my style, which is ironic since I dress quite casually with hints of tailored pieces to keep the overall outfit from looking too urban. A big reason was because I could not find the right denim jacket, given I normally wear jeans so choosing the right shade was especially hard. While my varsity style jackets have been associated with Sunday morning soccer for too many years that I can not see myself wearing it other then with sports gear.

My new layering love is a leather jacket with a masculine oversized coat. I love the flow of the dress contrasting with the structure of the leather jacket. While the coat adds another soft structural component, in addition with tailoring. I think my dear doggy loves it too, or maybe he enjoys the attention and pats he receives. Also, he is definitely not camera shy since he managed to end up in quite a few photos. I ended up giving him his turn in front of the lens and he is one photogenic little guy!

Dress - T by Alexander Wang / Leather jacket - Zara / Coat - Hugo Boss / Shoes - ASOS

5 comments:

  1. I've been admiring your blog from afar for ages, and have finally dared to comment! The leather jacket is gorgeous, I really want one but I am nervous of the commitment. How is this one holding up?xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you have ended up commenting! Personally, I find reading comments and also replying being a really fun part in the whole blogging process. I really appreciate and find surprising that people actually enjoy my content.

      I know it sound cliché but a leather jacket gets better overtime as the leather just seems to soften. I have had my leather jacket for nearly a year and it really is the most versatile piece, it can be worn year in year out, basically guaranteeing the 'cost per wear'. I can see my leather jacket holding up for for at least 5+ years or 10+ year, given care. I really recommend spending time to find the one you love, seriously love because it will be an investment piece you will adore!

      Hopefully I have been helpful and didn't ramble on too long! Have a lovely weekend! x

      Delete
  2. I know! I think that's the wonderful thing about the blog circle, but like anything I think you have to throw yourself in. Don't be silly your blog is perfect, I love your outfits so much.
    And I agree, I really do need one but it's just biting the bullet and buying one (albeit the right one). I have been eyeing up on in Whistles but have yet to go try it on! Once I get paid I think I will have to, especially after admiring yours! Hope your weekend was lovely, mine was less so but that's what working in retail results in! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for introducing me to Whistles, I haven't really looked into the brand but I just had a look at their online store and it seems like a really great brand for essentials (loving their leather jackets, too)! Love to know if you end up buying a leather jacket!

      My weekend was alright, had lots of catching up to do in regards to uni work but working in retail definitely sounds more stressful. Hopefully your week gets better! x

      Delete
  3. That style looks pretty good on you! I love how you made the leather jacket complement your dress, and how you managed to make your get-up look more interesting. Truly, adding leather into your layering look makes for an eye-catching fashion statement. I can't wait to see your next look!

    Peter @ Colourlock

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!