My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

August 31, 2013

Free delivery and free returns?



I am constantly looking for a silk shirt and a pair of white jeans, right now. My first point of reference always seems to be through online stores. The emergence of online retail has definitely created another reason why people are regularly on the Internet. I, for one am definitely guilty, too. 

The ease of being able to browse items of clothing without taking a step outside can be deemed as luxury in one sense. However, I still find there is a limit to online shopping. The fact that most of my online purchases are of tops and accessories or pieces that do not require precise measurements tell a tale. Even more tellingly is my bookmark of several online stores for a potential purchase of a silk shirt, compared to basically zero for the pair of jeans. 

The very idea of having to return a purchase because of fit issues seems to really bother me. Firstly, the excitement of a parcel finally being delivered but only to be returned because of fit issues is a serious dampener to by spirits. Secondly, having to pay for the return is definitely not fun (there goes my next week of coffee)! 

Nonetheless, in defence of online retail (given I don't want to be seen as a hypocrite since I still spend time browsing and buying online) some a curated exceptionally well that outfit inspirations are left, right and centre. I also believe some items of clothing are just not easy to buy without first trying it on. Customers have to acknowledge that fact and work out items they know are more suited to buying online. 


Don't go blaming online retail...

  1. Anything that is tailored should be avoided online, unless previously tried on in store
  2. Anything that is body fitting (jeans included!) should also be avoided online, again, unless you have already tried it on in store
  3. If you do happen to buy clothing online quite often, really know your measurements and shape and stay true to it

In all honesty, given the time, going out once a month purely to shop can be really fun! Grab a friend or two, look through windows and walk in and touch the materials while squeezing a coffee or brunch can be seriously relaxing and enjoyable if you let it be!


Note - love flat lay compositions so even though it has no connections to the content I still happily put it up. Not everything has to make sense, right!?

     

4 comments:

  1. I shop a lot online, but I wouldn't recommend buying online from cheap stores (f21, h&m, etc...) because their sizing (even within the same item!) and quality is so inconsistent, and the shipping can cost more than the item itself.

    -ps. I like your still life pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally find it quite hilarious when shipping does indeed cost more then the actual item/s!

      Thank you! I have another still life photo idea that I cannot wait to take.

      Delete
  2. I shop online if it has free returns or the item doesn't need to fit tailored-like. I also use online stores to decide which shops are worth visiting in person and write down the style numbers to take in to the store with me. I have noticed though, that with all the crying out that online retail is stealing customers from stores, it is sad that stores are dropping their standard of service - which is the very way they can win out over online. So my criteria is to shop only at those that have a good online store to pre-browse, and then good in-person service in the store to try and buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try and shop online at places where there is free returns, however, I find I am normally quite content if they have free shipping.

      I kind of use online stores in both ways, to see if a shop is worth visiting but also to buy if I have already been to the store in person. I agree, service is very important in a physical store but I also find the arrangement of the clothes and space on the rack and in windows to pre-deterime whether I even step in!

      The pre-browse is also a good idea and it stops you being frustrated if you have a particular item you are trying to buy.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!