My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

July 01, 2013

What constitutes a 'quality' pair of jeans?




Where my wardrobe bottoms consist of a couple of skirts and trousers, a mere collection of shorts but quite a large collection of jeans, it is no wonder the latter is worn most days. When skirts and shorts are not the most appropriate attire for Winter, I look towards my pairs of jeans. Also, perfect for the remainder of the seasons, or more concisely, 'year-around' perfection?

This brings me to my point - why don't I invest in good quality jeans like I would do for a Winter coat or a leather jacket or leather boots or...you get my picture. Frankly, will it not be easier if I only had to break into jeans the fewest amount of times instead of annually with a a pair or two? Especially since I only end up wearing the black Uniqlo and Acne pair most often then not!

Then I come to my second thought - what constitutes 'good quality' jeans for investment? Most obvious use of an indicator is the brand. However, by comparing a designer name with a high street name it is like comparing an apple to a pear, which is the better quality fruit. Does it not all boil down to personal preference. The way I think different brands of jeans should be deemed is by having a common denominator (who would have thought I would be using maths in a post talking about jeans!) where comparison is between material, tailoring, fit and wash instead of the name tagged inside the jeans. So, depending on your preference in regards to material, tailoring, fit and wash a high street pair might meet all your expectations. While for a different fit and wash a designer pair might tick all the right boxes. Sometimes you just have to look beyond the name, something that is especially useful when looking for jeans, I have found.

Personally, jeans are already hard enough to buy so when I come across one that meets my preferences and have a suitable price tag (especially when buying a designer pair) the label at the back is really not an issue, whether designer or high street.

Anyone else have thoughts on this topic?

From top to bottom: Zara / Zara / Zara / Acne / Citizens of Humanity / Uniqlo                                                               

4 comments:

  1. well said, label doesn't matter. Fit is the most important thing, followed by fabric. I prefer substantial denim, as I hate when jeans are too stretchy that they end up 2 sizes bigger by the end of the day. And I'm not a denim enthusiast who will lay in bathtub with them on or buy 5 sizes too small so that they mold to my shape and blah blah blah...so I need things that are carefree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, fit and fabric are important. Sadly, the Uniqlo pair are stretching and being to big around the hips however, I love wearing them as my 'new' boyfriend inspired jeans!

      Wow, I cannot say I have heard of the bathtub situation but I definitely would never resort to that extreme. Especially when it is easier just to shop around and try different pairs on! The 'squeezing into smaller sizes' I have definitely heard of. I just think it makes you bigger then you seem!

      Delete
  2. I own a lot of jeans as well, and I never throw them out unless they don't fit anymore, because one season I swear off skinny jeans and living in 'boyfriend' styles, then the next season I go back to skinnies. I'm even holding on to a flare leg pair, because they fit well, just the silhouette doesn't look right at the moment. I'm sure if I were forced I could come up with a 'capsule' collection of jeans such that I would never need to buy another pair. I'd include a skinny jean in a dark color, a boyfriend jean, and maybe a raw denim pair that would last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely be including skinny jeans and boyfriend jeans into a 'capsule' collection. Skinny jeans are just flattering for my shape, while boyfriend jeans are just so comfortable and can be polished off with a pair of heels or pointy flats.

      What is the difference between raw denim and 'normal' denim?

      Definitely hold onto a flare leg pair, with sightings of culottes and bermuda shorts I am sure the flare will be back shortly!

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!