My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

July 15, 2013

Borrowing from him - the knitwear over a shirt






Knitwear over a shirt, easy right? I beg to differ. I have come to a conclusion that not all knitwear are made to go over a shirt. My proof being that out of all the knitwear I own this is the only one that looks reasonable when pulled over a shirt (the blue cropped piece isn't bad either, just too much hanging at the back).

It took quite a few tries over quite a few months to realise the combination I favoured and it finally came to the forefront that it is indeed up to individual preference. Even after looking over many, many pictures snapped on the runways to blogs and streetwear photos I did not really understand why the knitwear over the shirt just didn't work for me. Until I understood that the real essence is taking inspiration from what you see and then generating ideas and in the process creating you own outlook of the style.

Personally, I gravitate towards combining a structured shirt with a loose fitting knitwear. For the shirt, I prefer buttoning up the top most button (when pairing with a crew neck knitwear) or leaving the top most button undone (when pairing with a v-neck knitwear). I always love to roll the sleeve up once and to leave a bit of shirt hanging at the hips. For the knitwear, I definitely stick to a loose fit and a crew neck in general. This is where the 'borrowing from him' comes into play. I find that knitwear from the men's section just work brilliantly over a shirt. It could be due to the fact that this style originates from the way men normally dress down there shirts? Anyway, just a thought but having the right type of knitwear is crucial.

Knitwear - Zara Men's Section / Shirt - Zara / Jeans - Acne 'Hex Lena' / Wallet - YSL / Sunglasses - Princess Polly

4 comments:

  1. ahhhh this is so very true, I have a green Acne sweater that I love, but find it so difficult to wear it with shirts (depending on their cut). However I also have a grey cableknit sweater that is easy to pair with an over-sized shirt thrown on underneath. Cut and style matter with this kind of thing!

    PS i love your blog, as a new blog user, yours was one of the first I followed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so happy you enjoy the blog!

      Until I actually tried pairing a shirt with a knitwear I had no idea the cut of the knitwear could be so important. So, I thought it would be helpful to talk about it because I haven't really seen this discussion on my other posts.

      Love Acne - at the very least most Acne sweaters are a stand out just by itself, no need for a pairing!

      Delete
  2. I just have not been able to find the right shirt/sweater combination in my wardrobe and it's mightily frustrating. I really like the blue and green you've put together though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, the blue and green colour combination was more luck then styling. All because of finding that 'right shirt and knitwear combination' as you pointed out!

      I find that a looser fitting neck and shoulder region, in regards to the knitwear, really pair well with most shirts.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!