My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

May 05, 2013

Double edged sword (bag)


In my opinion, investment bags are like a double edged sword. It is the only reason why I can explain the absence of this bag and some others in all my outfit posts. The reason why the black canvas bag and the brown leather saddle bag are the permanent fixtures.

Double edged sword when it comes to practicality

I can fit a whole days worth of things inside (including a MacBook) but my heart skips a beat whenever I think it is in "stained and scratched" danger. It means, more often then not I am left worrying more about the bag and it usually sits on my lap, not very practical in that regard. See what I mean by the double edged sword?


Double edged sword when it comes to 'labels' 

I like the subtle details of designer bags. For example, the construction and ingenious creativity, the shape, the use of quality leather and materials and how it carries on the shoulder or arms. I do not carry designer bags just for the sake of it being designer as I hate how people form judgements and opinions. Even though from the most recent post I threw caution to the wind and lived by the motto - who cares, maybe I should apply this line of thinking to this situation? Then this might not be a double edged sword situation.


Hopefully you enjoyed this little "musing", which all came about after breakfast with a friend at this amazing cafe! In a way I enjoy posting outfit posts, what do you think about these occasional "thought" posts?

Also, anyone else have their own double edged sword for investment bags?

4 comments:

  1. I like your thought posts.
    I buy things because I like them, regardless of designer. And ultimately everything I have ends up thrown against the wall anyway. It perhaps helps that my "designer" things stand on their own merit and aren't identifiable from across the room. and it's not that I dislike logo either, I just won't buy them because I don't want the attention. But I think there are plenty of mid range or chain store brands that produce quality leather bags, not everything has to be 4-5 figures. And Birkin bags can be shockingly ugly in person, just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I only buy pieces that I 'fall in love with' it could be either designer (if I have the money!) or high street.

      I agree that what makes a designer piece is its ability to stand out because of ingenious design and construction. The Birkin is part of the handbags that are from what I collectively call the classic fashion powerhouses, i.e. Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Saint Laurent, Givenchy to name a few. At this present time I could never own one or justify having one because I'm still at university and do not have a full time job. In addition, I think you have to respect yourself by knowing your own limits when it comes to spending.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you're talking about - there is freedom that comes with something you know you can just wipe off and not worry about. Even if I do spend more than I usually would on something quality (I recently bought a Clare Vivier messenger, for instance) I refuse to be super precious about it...I just take care of it weekly by wiping it down and conditioning every once in a while. Purses don't get their own chair in my world...they need to be able to hang off the back of a chair or sit on the floor! I guess it's all about working with your own lifestyle and realizing your limitations. And it's exciting to leave things for the future! I told myself I couldn't purchase certain things until I had a good-paying job, and now I do, so I am acquiring things. And then there are others, that I am waiting to buy when I am 35 or 40 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, nice to know I'm not the only one! However, I agree, I should stop being 'super precious' with my bags :)

      The Clare Vivier messenger looks stunning and it also seems very functional (i.e. enough room to fit most things needed for a day!), what colour did you get?

      It really comes down to respecting yourself by working with what you have. It sounds like you totally understand what I mean :)

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!