My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

May 16, 2013

Another way to shop at Zara





Warning: masses of people and clothing - don't worry 

I wish I had that little mantra (on repeat!) when I first walked into Zara a few years ago. The sheer volume of people and clothing packed into one store was insane and if I thought that was it, I had a major surprise when I finally chose a few pieces and went wondering to the change rooms. In a way, my first trip to Zara was overwhelming and I ended up buying a few items which I never really wore.

Thinking back to that first experience at Zara and I realise that the atmosphere created in store is truly electrifying. From the number of people just browsing the clothing to some eager shoppers with big bags filled with piece after piece the energy in a way compels you to also stay, browse, try and even buy. Urged on by the sheer number of options of tees, shirts, blouses, dresses, jeans, coats, shoes, bags and the list goes on... 

Go during the sales period and you seriously do not even have space to move while dodging an arm grabbing this shirt on your left while another is grabbing jeans from your right. I even remember taking the stairs up to the men's section, which still had a buzz but at least I could walk and not have to be constantly worrying about bumping into every second person. Ironically, I found my favourite basic sweater and learnt that the men's section have some quality, simple and clean designed basics at very reasonable prices.

Take two, three or even a few more experiences at Zara and I have learnt that... 

1) Under all the latest trends there are good quality basics (proof - look at the above photos, minus the bags and sunglasses) 

2) Do research on their online site beforehand (means you do not spend hours browsing through in store and you limit buying unnecessary pieces)

3) If you can not locate a piece just ask one of their staff

4) Try take all your pieces to the changing room at once (who likes standing in line not once but twice!)

5) If you are not comfortable or it does not suit you do not buy it (buy lunch!)

Note - do not let the 'reasonable' price sway you into buying a piece you are not sure of. Instead, treat yourself to an amazing lunch and if you still want it after lunch then you probably have your answer!

Finally, just enjoy the day, enjoy the atmosphere and do not worry about the sheer number of people and clothes! 

What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. My trick to avoiding the long checkout lines was to pay in the men's section. I miss shopping at Zara. Now I have to do it online and the website tends to focus more on trendy pieces. Zara has excellent work appropriate pieces, and their suit separates are fantastic. My zara work pants wear like iron. Also zara has a home line too (zarahome.com), and I got a beautiful brown croco-embossed jewelry box from them earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is hard to believe but the men's section line was longer then the women's! Then I realised it was because they have so many more checkout counters in the women's section then the men's.

      I know that online shopping is preferred by many nowadays (myself included) but shopping at a brick and mortar store, the atmosphere is really different and every now and then I do go to one. Since I am still at uni I don't keep an eye out for suits but just looking at their blazers, I totally agree with you.

      There is a Zara home line!!! Wow, totally going to have a look now. The jewellery box sounds beautiful!

      Delete
  2. The point to treat yourself to lunch instead is a great one! Sometimes we are looking for a treat or pick-me-up, and something from the store is an easy way to fulfill that desire. But a fantastic lunch, yummy frozen yogurt, or even a trip to the movies can often easily fill that need for delight.

    I love the aesthetic of Zara's basics, but we don't have a B&M anywhere around here. Maybe someday I'll finally order something from the site to try out at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that giving yourself time to think/clear your mind when you are in two minds, is the best thing you can do. In a way, that is why I quite like online shopping because you are not thrown into the whirlwind of look, grab and buy because everyone else is doing it. However, every now and then I love the atmosphere and also being able to try on the clothes is a definite plus.

      Also, grabbing an amazing lunch also gives your perspective in what money can buy!

      Maybe when you travel, you might come across a brick and mortar Zara store and then you can try it out! :)

      Delete
  3. I love Zara's aesthetic- their clothes and look books are really great. A lot of their pieces are clean cut and timeless.

    I think that their prices are too high for a high street chain, though. I only shop there when they're having a sale (but of course it's slim pickings by then.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and your Instagram post shows that you are Asian! Please tell me how you got your hair color!

      Delete
    2. I have friends say that the price is quite high, too! However, everything is comparative in my opinion, it depends on what you are buying and comparing it to. So true, once the sales are on the amount of people suddenly triple and the amount of clothes decrease rapidly.

      Hahaha - the latest photo that I was debating whether or not to put up! My hair colour is natural, I have never had it dyed in my life, besides the fact I am scared of damaging my hair but also I am just too impatient to sit there for 4+ hours! I think the colour is due to the many years it has been under the sun. Sorry I couldn't have been more of a help.

      Hope you are enjoying my Instagram and blog!

      Delete
  4. Love these pictures.

    I'm not a Zara shopper. I've only been into Zara a few times and I've never purchased. I do remember Garance Dore doing a post on how to shop at Zara and one of tips was to go in the AM right after the store opens- there's less people and everything is neat and where it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like still life photography as it allows a lot more freedom to style and play around with composition.

      Yes, I agree, during the mornings and even the weekdays there isn't as many people. I would love to read that post.

      Delete
  5. Strange request, where did that coat hanger come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha no request is too strange but I am afraid I have no idea! It has been there since I was a child. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

      Delete
    2. Also, forgot to mention above that I love your photography and cannot believe I only just started following you on Instagram!

      Delete
  6. Not only clothing, but Zara is a good brand name for shoes and handbags too. If we talk about prices, it's not too pricy to have two minds over purchasing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!