My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

April 27, 2013

Why have I never owned one?


The la Marinière, the breton or how I use to view it, the "striped tee" has finally graced my collection of essential pieces. No longer do I just view it as a tee with horizontal stripes. It is now a piece that is held in high regard in my clothing world. I might still call it a "striped tee", given la Marinière does not roll off my tongue (why do I find it hard to learn French!) but rest assure, the respect I give this "striped tee"  definitely makes up for my tongue tied pronunciation of anything French. Also, I'll indulge in my limited French vocabulary by happily referring, from now on, to the "striped tee" as la Marinière in the digital world. 

Even just last year, I would never have bought a la Marinière. I think it stemmed from the idea that horizontal stripes are not flattering at all. I still remember a friend wearing one and thinking to myself, "why would you wear horizontal stripes, it just makes you look wider!" However, I have come to realise it is not a problem and have come to embrace this essential piece with wide opened arms. So the search began...

   Since my wardrobe clean out I only buy when I know I will be exasperatedly telling my friend how stupid I was for not buying this or that. This applied for the search of the la Marinière, even though I desperately wanted one I was not going to settle for the first and closest, just for convenience. There are many different versions of the classic la Marinière, I was looking for black thin stripes on white, a thicker feel, a loose fit, long or 3/4 sleeves and a small scoop neck. Sounds simple? Trust me, it has taken me three months to find it but the wait is seriously worth it!

I nearly bought the L. L. Bean "French Sailor's Shirt" after seeing Rachel's (Object Log) outfit but they did not have a "black/white" colour combination, even though the navy option would not have been that much different. To my surprise, or not really a surprise after writing about essential pieces I found my la Marinière at Zara. Can I say - mission accomplished? 

I wonder if you read all that? Not the shortest post I have written, but would you expect anything different when the topic is on the la Marinière?

Now, I am going to apologise in advance as I might just wear everything with my la Marinière.


Zara - Striped Sweater

11 comments:

  1. the striped tees are surprisingly versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone had said that to me last year, I would not have believed them, but yes, they are extremely versatile.

      Delete
    2. I agree. You don't realize you need a striped top, and then you can't live without it. I have several, but am contemplating the one from llbean. My best one is from jjill, no longer made though. It is perfect

      Delete
    3. I agree completely! And Bee, if we're speaking of the same L.L. Bean one. I own it! It's perfect.

      Delete
    4. Bec - The L. L. Bean one was close to being perfect for me, albeit not having the black/white colour combination. Everything else was spot on! Also, the international shipping fee made me think twice!

      Jacquelyn - I'm so happy I discovered my love for it, hahaha! I'm already styling it in all sorts of ways in my head! Also, congrats on your new job!!

      Delete
  2. I love striped tees. I have a few in a variety of sleeve lengths, necklines and stripe widths. They are really great for a number of outfits. Plus, the give a nice detail to a simple outfit of jeans and a t-shirt, that is a bit more 'unique' than just a plain color t-shirt. If that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally makes sense, I seriously have no idea why it took me this long! What other colour combination do you prefer and stripe width? I'm still hesitant on wider widths, what do you think?

      Delete
    2. Ha! I only own navy and white stripe ones, personally. Some of the shades of navy are darker/lighter, but I only purchase navy and white striped ones. I think wider width are fine, if they are alternated with a thin stripe. Like both stripes are different widths. I own two that are the same stripe width, and one that has a larger stripe and thinner stripe- I like they differentiate. I haven't found one that I like with two of the same larger sized stripes.

      Delete
    3. I think the darker colour being the thinner stripe and lighter colour being the thicker stripe is what makes a difference, not the actual width itself, for my case!

      Delete
  3. Stripes are such a nice way to mix things up. I can't live without striped shirts and sweaters in a variety of fabric weights. Yours looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this la Marinière revelation I will never be able to not wear stripes again! I love the heavier fabric weights because if doesn't loose its shape as much.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!