My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

April 12, 2013

Are essential pieces also investment pieces?


When writing the "Back to Square 1 - the summary" I started to think how on earth I classified high street pieces as my essentials. These places are associated with "fast" fashion and trendy pieces. In retrospect, I had this equation in mind "essential pieces = investment pieces = designer pieces", which is totally wrong! Basically, essential pieces do not have to be investment pieces. Unless you have the budget, I cannot see why you would buy a $80 tee when there are quality tees for a quarter of that price, think Everlane, ASOS, Uniqlo and Zara. However, I believe that if you are buying investment pieces it is best to buy essential pieces. Confusing enough?

So why do most of my essential pieces have a label with the letters ZA R A? Why do I constantly browse the ASOS collection? Are those not the last places I would shop to buy basics since it is associated "fast" fashion. My answer (besides the fact I cannot spend all my money on clothing!) - the mass production and constant new looks associated with these places create a "fashion forward" and "trend" image. However, if you take the time and care to look at the material information, analyse the cut and tailoring and if possible try it on many essentials pieces can be found in these places and can become foundations of your wardrobe.

 I invest in essentials when buying a "signature" piece, for example, an Equipment shirt or Acne sweaters and boots. More broadly, for modern tailoring/sporty edge pieces I look to Alexander Wang and for refinement, Carven & The Row. These are the pieces I'll probably cry over if a little tear appears, if it is dyed because I washed them with darker material clothing or even when they just get that little fleck of dirt!

Thoughts?

And yes, the picture is there just because I love it and am sorry for such a long break between posting - had a busy week!

6 comments:

  1. I constantly wear my Zara pants for work, and I find Zara to be an excellent go to for suits seperates. I don't think everything nor is it practical for everything to "designer."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it comes down to what your trying to achieve and not whether it is designer or high street. Understanding your style and what works for you is also important, buying designer pieces does not mean you can wear any shape or tailoring of clothing. I think there is a notion that anything designer automatically means it will suit every individual. I reckon it is the total opposite as designers have their own sense of tailoring and proportions they like to stick too.

      Delete
  2. now i studied you blog completely!
    i am so looking forward to your future posts (and pics on instagram), because i really really like your minimized style. so clear and clean. in the last years i also changed a bit in buying clothes. better invest in good basics (natural materials, good tailoring and colours are important), even when the price is higher. so you can wear your clothes and combine with new ones over years! but, as you wrote - sometimes you are lucky and find good things for less money.
    i am from germany and one of my favourite brand is "marc o polo", i think it is a swedish clothes company. have you ever thought of making you own clothes? knitting oder sewing? i made some knit sweaters and cardigans and shawls for me. that is a very satisfactory work! (sorry for my bad english!) :-) where do you live?
    have a nice week end!
    moni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moni!

      Please don't apologise for your English, it is perfectly fine :)

      Sometimes I have altered clothing, i.e. cutting a skirt from a dress but have never made one from the beginning. I just don't have the time to begin and finish something right now, but I totally agree, even with altering clothes the satisfaction really makes it worthwhile! You must be an amazing at knitting and sewing, I would love to see the sweaters, cardigans and shawls you have made!

      Have a lovely weekend, too! x

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with everything you said here. Essential pieces don't have to be investment pieces price-wise. Investing time in searching for quality pieces in high street stores is so much more satisfying and practical (it will really sting if you stain a designer piece or something.) This is what really sets your blog apart from the typical APC/Isabel Marant/Alexander Wang blogs out there. It's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have alluded to another reason why I also buy essentials in high street stores - the satisfaction. I think it stems from the idea of a "search", the notion of adventure and finding something the "diamond in the rough" in a way. Shopping should seriously be enjoyable instead of a chore.

      Thank you - I have always wanted to blog about clothing and style but was hesitant at first because I did not just want to be another person that only took outfit photos and have new clothing every week for the sake of taking more outfit photos. I still love pieces from Alexander Wang, APC and other higher end designers but I reckon it is more about having a balance and how you style pieces. Instead of being know for the girl who wear this or that label.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!