My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

March 29, 2013

THIS Alexander Wang dress



Look 1 - THE ALEXANDER WANG GIRL

"At first glance, simplicity comes to mind. But, look again and I see the simplicity as a mere reflection of the contrast between, tailored shoulders and the loose silhouette, opaque body and sheer panels and a classic shirtdress with modern tailoring and a sporty reference. It is these details that at a quick glance the dress receives comments referring to "simple, effortless and chic" however, it is the design that contrasts classic and modern that defines this piece and this style."





LOOK 2 - A FINER OCCASION

"My comfort for separates mean I own dresses only in the formal sense. This really annoyed me so when I can across this Alexander Wang dress it was going to be my change. A change embracing the versatility dresses can offer. So, even though I have reverted back to wearing it for a more formal event, I do not mind. In my opinion it is a trademark of a dress that I deem as an essential piece. The belt gives the look an hour glass shape and also minimises the sheerness in the front making it just that more easier to transition to a finer occasion. However, the sheer back adds the right amount of glam to the outfit."

Also, the ankle boots are a special piece that I rarely wear (so they are not part of my essentials wardrobe) because it does not suit my student life at the present time. Running for buses and hauling a bag full of textbooks, papers and a notebook while balancing on 10cm heels, a spectacle indeed! 






LOOK 3 - A LONG DAY

"The days when I'm hitting the alarm at 6:30am I realise that the worn to perfection jeans or the slouchiest of slouch trousers are going to be my best friends. A day when this occurred was the day I thought, wouldn't a dress also be just a good of a friend. The versatility of this Alexander Wang dress can really be appreciated right here. Topped with a knit and paired with sandals it is just perfect for those long days and I'm still in a style I love. This might just be my favourite look out of the three!"

I am also going to try this look with sneakers, I have a feeling it might just work. Also, when I have a pair of black ankle boots this is a serious winter look!



Which look is your favourite?

Which look would you want to wear?

8 comments:

  1. I really like all three look! The dress pairs great with your sandals- both with the sweater and without. I also think it looks lovely belted; the belt adds a bit of shape to its shift shape, which works nicely for this dress-more so than other shifts would. Plus, those ankle boots are lovely.

    I think it would even pair nicely with your simple black heels too. Also your Grenson Shoes and gorgeous saddle bag. I think too that come colder months, you can later it with your Hugo Boss boots, and even later it over tights and a simple black turtleneck.

    I would love to see it paired with your Nike's- the Free Runs are simplistic and streamlined- which would flow nicely with the simplistic style of this dress, but add an interesting and unexpected contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, I tried it with the black heels and I reckon it looks good with the dress belted for a more formal occasion. I still haven't tried it with my Grensons, but now just thinking about it with the saddle bag, I might have a new way to wear it (thank you, you always give the best suggestions/ideas!)

      I'm not sure about the riding boots because the hem line and boot line are quite similar, it might shorten me! I'm really liking the turtleneck idea, I use to think it so "old-fashioned" but I'm really appreciating it right now.

      I totally forgot about my Nike's when taking the photos but I can definitely see my first ever "dress and sneakers" combination with this piece. Maybe also the off white Converses? x

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love this dress on you and all three looks you've created; it's really an incredibly versatile piece. I do think it would look great with sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! The first time I saw it was a little hesitant how it would fit with my other pieces. However, it is so versatile. Right now I have around 4 looks that pair really well and for different occasions! x

      Delete
  3. When you posted that picture of the dress hanging, I had no idea how it would look on...it suits you so well! What a beautiful piece. I really like all the looks but I think I'm with you on liking the last one - the navy sweater looks great...and what about with some ankle boots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, the first time I saw the dress I was hesitant about how it was going to work with my wardrobe. However, it is just amazing, it goes with basically everything! I think on a hanger, due to the loose and relax shape it does not look as appealing. Once I started to wear it and matching it with other pieces I realised just how versatile the dress is! It seriously is a well tailored "canvas", so easy to style.

      Totally agree, ankle boots and this dress will be stunning in Winter! I'm looking for a pair of black ankle heels with a low/mid heel right now. Something like the Acne Pistol boots or even the Alexander Wang Donna boots!

      Delete
  4. I love this dress on you- it's simple but chic. Perfection!

    All three looks are great, but I love it belted. The belt adds just the right amount of shape and finishes the look I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsay!

      I just wore it belted to friends birthday a few nights ago, I simply loved the look. I agree, the belt definitely gives the shift style shape. x

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!