My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

March 27, 2013

Not technically a "Back to SQUARE 1" post




Back to SQUARE 1 - the dress? 

Yes, in regards to it being the only dress (that is not formal) I now own.

No, since it only joined my wardrobe a week ago, therefore it was not part of the "culling" process all my other pieces had undergone!

However, I just had to share it and I'm hoping my collection of dresses will increase slowing because, let's face the fact, one piece is easier to co-ordinate, or on another note, no co-ordination in needed when compared to two pieces. In addition, dresses are seriously less constricting then jeans. Who would pass on comfort!

When it finally arrived (really quick delivery I might add, thanks The Outnet) and I stopped obsessively tracking it using the tracking number provided I had mixed emotions about the dress. The sheerness was a concern because it is harder to wear as an "essential piece" making it more appropriate for formal occasions, which I do not need. After closer inspection, the sheerness is very strategically placed and it also occurred to me that Alexander Wang is known for his "off duty", "sporty" and "grudge but modern tailoring" looks. That got me thinking of Wang's past seasons and I started to look at the dress in a different light and started styling different looks based on this one dress. I have not got around to taking photos yet, but rest assure, the next post will demonstrate why this Alexander Wang dress has become an essential piece in my wardrobe, while also lending itself to be worn on finer occasions!

Any early thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I've been in love with this dress [and it's white version] since the moment I laid eyes on it. It does have that very sporty-modern tailoring vibe- and I always thought the sheer detail was a nice add too. I hope you'll end up loving it. It seems very simple and versatile! You could easily wear it with sandals, flats, brogues, or even heels and a blazer to dress it up. I look forward to seeing more pictures of it. It's lovely, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read through your latest post and saw you featuring the Alexander Wang dress. It does seem to really suit your style from the outfit posts you write and also the advice and pictures you put on your tumblr! Are you thinking of the black or white one? I only saw the white dress after purchasing the black, but I think I still would would have chosen the black! Simply due to the versatility of black and the additional detail of the sheer panels.

      After trying different looks with the dress, I can't believe I even had second thoughts about it! I love how the simplicity is also its twist because I have not seen similar dresses like it.

      I would love your view on the looks I put up because I love your idea and way of dressing! Hope you have a lovely day and enjoyed your birthday (sorry it is a bit late)!

      x

      Delete
    2. I'm super in love with it! I have been for some time now. I love both the black and white; I think I prefer the white, but I can't seem to find a 'small' in it anywhere. I do love the black too, it's very classic and possibly even more versatile than the white, you know! The white would be a bit more unexpected, but still fit nicely, in my wardrobe. We'll see though!

      I saw you posted the looks, so I will comment on those next! Thank you and thanks for the birthday wishes too! xx.

      Delete
    3. I bought a medium (because that was the last one!), I normally wear a small. I thought I might as well try it and see if the fit is still good. It is slightly more loose but since the fit is quite relaxed I do not really mind! x

      Delete
  2. It's a great dress- so versatile. I love dresses because they are effortless and they transition from work/school to evening really well. Dresses are essential for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to love dresses again, the versatility is amazing! However, finding the right one takes quite a while.

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!