My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

March 25, 2013

Back to SQUARE 1 - other bottoms





When wearing trousers or jeans when the temperatures seriously soar and in the process accumulating sweat that could fill a pool these are my only go to pairs of shorts and solitary skirt. In a way, these pieces stand out from my wardrobe. From the crochet on the shorts to the thousands of tiny white dots on the skirt these two a definitely similar in their foreignness with my other pieces. Despite the fact that you will never catch me in a polka dot top or increasing my handbag collection with a crochet knit bag I have no problems wearing them as bottoms. I think I alluded to this fact with my assortment of jeans, and to tell you the truth, I still do not have an answer! 

Since theses are my only pair of shorts they get worn quite a bit and the wear and tear is becoming more noticeable each passing summer. The "other" material, i.e. not the crochet knit is so faded that the knit detail is becoming more obvious. However, the ease of throwing on a tee and pairing with sneakers make me reluctant to retire these any day soon, but I am on the lookout for more shorts. Definitely no denim offcuts after finally accepting they just look awful on me and I can never pull them off. This does not faze me in the slightest as I reckon people wear them partly due to being "in" and on trend!

The reason I have one, and only one skirt can be thanked to my long list of requirements - high waisted,   a-line, neutral colours and finished at either just above mid-thigh or knees.Therefore, equating to a hard time finding skirts. However, the shaped created is so flattering that I still persevere with the list! I am obsessed with quite a few of the Carven's skirt's and have my eye on this ASOS skirt.

Thoughts on denim cut offs - no or yes?

Also, I'm curious if anyone else have specific requirements for their skirts?    

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love denim shorts (and shorts in general), and the detail on those is really lovely. I find roomy shorts and a comfortable knit paired with simple sneakers to be such a chic look for spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could pull denim shorts off! I think the cut, i.e. not being roomy enough around the thighs really just don't work for me. However, I love the look on others!

      Love how sneakers really lifts an outfit and are so practical.

      Delete
  2. I don't like raggedy levi's cut-offs, but I have a nice pair of Cheap Monday jeans that are neatly cuffed - not too short or baggy or casual looking. They look good with silk blouses in the summer. I love that skirt you're eyeing...I don't really own any skirts at the moment for summer (or any other season for that matter) but if I were to get something, that's the type of thing I would buy. Summer doesn't have to mean lazy and shapeless and overly casual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon some people really pull it off, especially when combined with short ankle boots, but I'm just not one of them! I agree, the cuffed denim shorts are not too "rebel" or "grudge" and lends itself really well with a silk blouse.

      I'm loving that skirt, too! Don't worry, the polka dot skirt is the only one I own right now, because I just too picky and there is seriously less variety when compared to jeans or trousers! I think I have a fondness for that ASOS skirt because of structure and already I can see it pairing quite well with my wardrobe and can be dressed up or down!

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!