My Wardrobe                    Coffee & Spaces                   Instagram                   Contact

Begin Simply by April

Begin Simply is a space where I slowly curate my ideal wardrobe while giving a running commentary of the process. My ideal wardrobe is definitely one of neutral hues, simple cuts and quality material. Besides writing about my wardrobe I also intend to include cafe scenes (lots of coffee!) and still life photography. By the way, I watch too much AFL (yes, I am from Australia). On a more serious note, I am still not sure whether to continue on this platform (thinking of merging content from here to my Instagram), but for the time being I will be posting on both platforms - April

March 14, 2013

Back to SQUARE 1 - jeans




Uniqlo | Zara Denim Collection Citizens of Huamnity | Zara TRF | Zara TRF Core Denim

The ultimate essential? Who does not own a pair! Even though finding the perfect denim is one of the hardest and most tedious things anyone can shop for!

 My basic jeans are certainly the iconic blue and pitch black, I am also thinking of adding a white into the mix as they are so elegant and modern, in my opinion. To add an injection of colour I go to my oxblood piece as the red is muted enough that it is not too "colourful" and still goes with a neutral palette. Little side track - I only recently realised that the colour oxblood is a reference to "oxygenated blood", nothing to do with an ox's blood! If I really want to change it up I have a green pair that hits the ankle or my oriental printed pair that surprisingly mixes well with a neutral palette. The reason is the print has a black base making it easier to incorporate with other colours.

The funny thing is, a friend pointed out that I hardly wear any coloured or printed tops (I stick to my neutrals) but have no problems wearing them as bottoms. I thought about this later on and I still don't really have an answer! However, I reckon jeans have seriously evolved from the iconic blue denim. There are now jeans in all sorts of cuts and fits and the current trend of prints and colours will be staying for quite some time. Does that make them essentials instead of trends then? Even though there is now every colour of the rainbow and prints everywhere, a simple white tee will still suffice if you would like to try a pair. The styling can still be easy and the array of colours and prints should not throw you off.

A quick tip I found after trying pairs and pairs of jeans - to create an illusion of elongation try stick to jeans that hit the ankle (gives an illusion of length).  Sometimes 3/4 length jeans will finish at the ankle for people with shorter legs!

Anyone else have good tips when buying jeans and what do you think about coloured and printed denim?

4 comments:

  1. I never knew that about oxblood, I always associated it with the animal too. For jeans, I stick to basics. No COLORS, rips, designs on the back pocket, contrast stitching, whiskering, trendy silhouettes or extreme rises. Black wax is as wild as I get. I used to want white jeans--but I let that dream go when the dressing room mirror insulted me. A tip for jeans, for me I prefer jeans that only have a tiny amount of stretch, like 2%, as I like a more substantial, thicker fabric. In my experience too much stretch or thin jeans stretch out too much. And don't buy dry clean only jeans! I've had the embarrassing experience of jeans bleeding off on cream furniture in a store on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, that was what I thought at first, until a friend told me it was short for "oxygenated blood"! Black wax is something I have thought about! Do you find it as versatile as just normal black/does it also have too much shine?

      I haven't tried on a pair of white jeans for quite a while, but I reckon the dressing room mirror always make it more flattering! That happened with a pair of Acne ones I bought, I looked fine when trying them on but when trying them at home I thought I looked awful!

      I agree about stretch and buying jeans with thicker material! I hate jeans with too much stretch because you end up with no shape.

      Wow, I have never heard of that! Will definitely steer clear of dry clean only jeans, also it is such a hassle to have to dry clean things you wear regularly.

      Delete
  2. I also prefer jeans with a thicker fabric and less stretch; I REALLY don't want my jeans sliding off my butt halfway through the day due to too much elastic. After years of searching, I've finally found that James Jeans suit my body the best. I've actually been trying to build up a better denim wardrobe as I wore out my jeans last year, and I find the best deals on James (or whatever denim one is searching for) on ebay. If you know your size in a particular brand, you can get some great deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, too much stretch is really not the best! Finding the brand that suits your body is the best thing when it comes to buying jeans. It such saves so much time and probably money!

      Delete

Thank you, I try and read all comments!